05 December 2009

Dissecting DiNozzo Session 1: The Begining

For some random reason, a reason that's still unknown to me, I stayed up until after 4am on Saturday morning watching the JAG episodes 'Ice Queen' and 'Meltdown' which introduced the characters of NCIS, well Director Morrow and the core four (Gibbs, DiNozzo, Abby and Ducky) at least, and was the launching pad for the show we all love so very, very much.

Originally I was a JAG fan so I have actually watched NCIS right from the very start and I saw these episodes the first time they aired on TV in Australia.

There were a few things I noticed on this most recent viewing of the JAG episodes that I think may have stuck in my subconscious after the the first time I watched it.

The first is something which is obvious to pretty much every fan of NCIS and that is the Gibbs/DiNozzo working relationship. While Gibbs is a man of few words and only really shows affection towards Abby and Ducky, there is a... well it is hard to describe what it is, but let's say a trust and understanding between Gibbs and his senior field agent that was obvious from these first two non-NCIS episodes.

Point one is that Gibbs trusted DiNozzo to work on his own while he took Blackadder to question the JAG lawyers.

Point two is that Tony was the one person Gibbs wanted when they went to take down the terrorist, Gibbs didn't care who he brought with him just as long as Tony was there.

Now if we were going into the realm of Slash fiction, and boy is there a hell of a lot of Tibbs (Tony/Gibbs) fics, then I would say that point two was merely a sexual thing. As they have yet to show any Tibbsiness on the show (though DiNozzo has stayed at Gibbs' more than once) I will digress and say that there is a trust established from those two episodes that not too many people would understand and probably even notice.

Kate, I think is a good example of this, though she wasn't in the JAG episodes, I don't think the ex-secret service agent understood Tony let alone why Gibbs kept him on the team half of the time. There are examples in certain scenes which I will go into in other Dissecting DiNozzo posts but for now let's just leave it at that.

While Ziva may understand the Italian agent a bit more then Kate I still don't think she has a full grasp of Tony's mindset and the bond between him and Gibbs.

That being said I think it leads me onto another observation which I have had since 'Ice Queen'.

I have always been a Tony/Abby shipper and until I had re watched the JAG episodes, I thought my Tabby fascination spanned from the chemistry between Michael Weatherly and Pauley Perrette both on and off screen. If you have ever seen photos or footage of the two off set then you will know what I am talking about, it isn't a sexual thing it is a friendship.

When I re watched the JAG double I was shocked to see that there was actually quite a few Tabby moments in there. It may just be me but it seemed as if Abby may have had a touch of DiNozzoitis and had a little crush on our boy Tony.

I have spoken to other NCIS fans about the Tony/Abby friendship and most people agree that if Tony would tell anyone anything about his past, particularly his childhood, it would be everyone's favourite Goth. It may have never been shown like many other assumptions of fans but there has to be something there for so many of us to have agreed, right?

Yes I do realise that our fearless leader Leroy Jethro Gibbs has a rule about assumptions but let's just call it reading between the lines.

While I didn't really do any real 'dissecting' of DiNozzo's personality and character in this post I will put that down to the episodes themselves, as they weren't official NCIS episodes things were likely to change *cough*Blackadder*cough* between then and Yankee White to make the show work.

Tony though didn't really change too much... apart from those glasses, his missing movie addiction and now he is just ever so slightly more insane.

I don't know when or what episode I will do for the next Dissecting DiNozzo post, though I'm thinking it may be season 3's Undercovers, but it will definitely be more exciting and in depth than this one.

Peace... Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment